Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Weekly Menu 4
VEW
Lamb and Artichoke Kebobs with Lemon and Rosemary, Risotto with peas, Caesar salad, Lemon Crème Brûlée
Mustard-Crusted Roast Chicken, Green Beans with Tomatoes and Pancetta, Crispy Potatoes
Prosciutto-Wrapped Salmon with Three Cheese Cavatelli and Spinach
Bun Cha

Day 1
I made this for a dinner I had with 4 girlfriends. It was easy, good and I didn’t spend all night cooking.
Lamb Kebobs
Cut up lamb into small pieces and put in a large ziplock bag with olive oil, 1 T chopped, fresh rosemary, the zest of 1 lemon and the juice of 1 lemon, a container of frozen artichoke hearts, kosher salt and pepper to taste. Let sit in the marinade for a least an hour and up to 4. Grill until the lamb is medium rare. (Adapted from Williams Sonoma Hors d’Ouerves cookbook, which I highly recommend).

Risotto
The Risotto base I used this time was Jamie Oliver’s,which I’ve written about in a previous post, but any will do. At the end I tossed in some peas, fresh flat leaf parsley, freshly grated Parmesan and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.

Caesar Salad
The Caesar is self-explanatory. When I have time on my hands (which seems like never lately) I prefer to make my own croutons and dressing which make this salad a lot more enjoyable, but on this occasion I didn’t and none of my guests left out of disgust…

Lemon Crème Brûlée
The Lemon Crème Brûlée was my first time making a crème brûlée and I will do it again as it was easy and good. I don’t have a torch so I just used my broiler to get that crispy, golden brown top and it worked well.

Day 2
This is a recipe from Fine Cooking that is only available online if you’re a member of their site…which is too bad. It was a fabulous recipe so if you get a chance to pick up the September issue of Cooking Fresh, do it! (CN of this blog told me that Sam’s Club sells old issues of various magazines like Fine Cooking for about half the newsstand price…FYI). If you can’t find this exact recipe, any roast chicken dinner will work in this weekly menu, with a side of sautéed green beans and farm stand cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with some balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of salt. Please remember that when we can’t lead you to an exact recipe, the main purpose of this site is to lay out weekly menu ideas because we find that to be the hardest part of meal planning.

Day 3
Wrap wild coho salmon fillets in a slice or two of prosciutto, cook 10-12 minutes (I had 2, 7 oz fillets) at 425 degrees.
Pasta
Melt 2 T butter and 2T olive oil in a skillet. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic and sautee until golden. Add 1 cup whole milk ricotta, ¼ cup half and half, and ¼-1/2
C pasta water. Stir to combine. Add 3 C chopped baby spinach, zest of 1 lemon, nutmeg, gray salt, white pepper, red pepper flakes for heat and 1-2T lemon juice. Cook until spinach wilts. Throw in ¼ C diced smoked mozzerella cheese. Stir and keep warm. Meanwhile, cook some cavatelli noodles, add to the sauce along with freshly grated parmesan and parsley. I wouldn’t serve this as a stand-alone pasta, but the flavors went nicely with the salmon.

Day 4
Bun Cha
Vietnamese food is one of the best kept secrets of the food universe in my opinion. It is the shy step-sister to Thai food and all too often overlooked. This recipe makes easy work of the fresh, healthy and flavorful ingredients that make up much of this region’s diet. Because Vietnamese food relies mainly on loads of fresh herbs like mint, coriander and basil as well as the ubiquitous fish sauce for flavor, you won’t find butters or oils very often in its cuisine. Having traveled to Vietnam, I was skeptical that the simplicity of this recipe would result in an authentic dish, but I was wrong! It was great and reminded us of the Bun we had at Pho 2000 in Saigon. Enjoy!

No comments: