Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Quick Cassoulet

I really, really like Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express. I've written about it here before, what can I say? I am usually leery of cookbooks promising too much, too fast, too-anything, but Bittman is an exception. Without fail, each time I prepare one of his recipes, I think, "this is going to be bland, it's too easy, too plain, too...minimal." I thought that with his cassoulet and was, of course wrong again. When will I learn?

Ingredients
1-2 onions, chopped
1-2 carrots, chopped
1-2 stalks of celery, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2-1 package of smoked sausage--depending on how much you want, cut into bite-sized pieces (I used organic turkey keilbasa from Trader Joes)
2 cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes (Muir Glen is best and worth the cost)
fresh thyme (you can use 1/2-1 teaspoon dried in a pinch)
bay leaf
a bit of crusty bread (baguette, country loaf, etc), cut into crouton-sized cubes


Heat the oven to 400.

On the stove top warm some olive oil in a pan, add all the veggies and cook until starting to brown, 8-10 minutes. Add the kielbasa and cook for a few more minutes until beginning to brown. Add in beans, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook until warmed through--about 10 minutes.

While the cassoulet is warming, make the croutons. Toss your bread cubes with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spread on a cookie sheet and put in the oven. They will be crunchy and golden brown in about 10 minutes.

Serve cassoulet with croutons on top.
Serves 4 generously

Tasty!

No comments: