Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Best Hummus

We eat a lot of hummus around here. I used to make it from canned chick peas until one day, desiring to eat foods as close to their natural state as possible, I wondered if I could find dried chick peas at my grocery store. I did and the resultant hummus was fabulous. I will never go back to canned. Not only do more nutrients remain in the final product compared with canned peas, the texture is unparalleled. This was as good as any restaurant hummus I've had and it was really easy. I make it to taste (I love the addition of freshly ground cumin and I like the tang that the addition of sumac adds), and started out working from this recipe.

If you eat hummus you really must give this a try. Yes, you have to plan ahead a bit since the chick peas require overnight soaking, but other than that, there really is very little time different between cracking open a can and giving your soaked peas a quick soak and boil. Oh, and peas you don't use right away can be frozen after they're boiled, making your next batch even easier than your first. I now maintain a steady supply of ready to go chick peas in the freezer.

VEW

No comments: